I’ve been really lucky in this pregnancy. I haven’t had anything that’s made me genuinely nervous that something could be wrong. I’ve had no bleeding or spotting, and cramping has been minimal and mostly confined to the beginning of the pregnancy.
But yesterday at work I started to cramp, heavily. I had a hard time sitting in a chair, but walking around didn’t help much either. I was also having a concentrated shooting pain on my right side down in my groin/bikini line area. This started around 3:30 pm. I texted Chief to see what he thought. Of course his response was “What do you want to do? Do we need to go to the hospital?”
I wasn’t bleeding or having any weird discharge, so i thought I could hold off on that. These cramps weren’t as bad as my full on endo cramps, but they were very much “your period is coming” style cramps, which aren’t fun either. I was feeling a little better by the time I left work at 6:00, but driving home in the car (which took forever, because my stretch of highway is RIDDLED with potholes so traffic has slowed to a crawl until that gets fixed) really exacerbated the pain. I immediately laid down with my heating pad and waited for Chief to get home with burritos for dinner.
By 7:30 the pain was still there, though maybe not as bad. I had all but decided not to fret over it anymore, but then I thought “If this is still here at 9:30 pm, you’re going to regret not having called the doctor sooner.” So I called the medical exchange. They said my OB wasn’t on call tonight but another one was and they’d send my info over.
So I waited, and I waited, and I waited. And I also researched. The top culprits are braxton hicks and round ligament, and based on the symptoms I think I was having both. The pain didn’t really subside for five hours. And the other OB never called me. I’m trying not to be incredibly bothered by this. I know he was on call, meaning that he was probably frying bigger fish. But what if I had had a big fish to fry too? What would have happened? I mean, if it had gotten worse I would have gone to the hospital, because the thing I read about preterm labor vs. braxton hicks is that labor will get worse where as braxton hicks don’t.
But at the same time, I needed to be reassured by a doctor and given some instructions. Should I stay laying down? Is it okay for me to be at work today (I’m here, and I feel fine, so I’m assuming yes)? Do I need to follow up with my regular OB next week?
Well, I can tell you that I’ve already decided I will. And I want to ask them what I need to do in this situation in the future, ESPECIALLY if the on-call doctor never calls me back?
Last night after the pain had gone Chief lay with his hand on my belly and said that he was sure I was ready for her to be out of there. I told him I was ready to meet her, but I wasn’t wanting to rush the process either. He said he just meant so that I wouldn’t have to deal with stuff like what I dealt with last night. And I just told him it was okay, it had just been scary.
I hadn’t really realized at the time that I was scared though. Not until after it was over. But it was-it was scary. And it’s not my OB’s fault that no one called me back. I know he can’t be on call for me all the time, and I know that he would have seen my name and called me as soon as he could had it been him, but I’m less than happy with what happened last night. I’ve never had to call about something like this. I’ve always been able to work through whatever I was worried about and just wait. But this was alarming, and if you’re a doctor on call you have responsibilities to patients, even if they’re not “your” patient.