A massive leap back?
We got the crib. Babies R’ Us emailed me to say that they received the damaged crib back at their facility. Case closed. The furniture is all put together and GORGEOUS. But then….
On Friday I found out that our AC Unit on our house is barely functioning. The technician who came out to do our yearly service said that it would probably make it through the spring, but a few hot days this summer will definitely kill it. He gave me a laundry list of everything that’s wrong with it and it all seems legit. And we knew this one was on it’s way out-that’s why we tried to get a new one last year (unsuccessfully I might add).
So anyway. We’re looking at $3500 for the new unit, plus I would guess $500-1000 to do the install, just depending (because I think we might have to upgrade our electrical just a smidgeon). And then on top of that, a bunch of our duct work needs to be repaired. So let’s go ahead and add $1500-2000 to that.
So yeah, we’re looking at anywhere from $5500-6500. And it can’t be put off. I’m bringing a tiny baby home in late June to a house in the deep(ish) south. So we have to do it. ASAP. Chief wanted to wait until it died to see if we could at least get to the fall, but I am unwilling to take that risk. Then we could be looking at weeks without AC before we could get the work done.
The most upsetting thing is that I have the money sitting in savings right now, but it’s maternity leave money/ get the baby whatever it needs that people don’t get us money. NOT AC Unit money.
So, we’re extending the HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit) on our house. Hopefully. I talked to our lending agent on Friday and she acted like it wouldn’t be a big thing, because the equity is just sitting there. But we have to redo the whole loan, which means redoing all the paperwork ($300 application fee) and getting the house reappraised (usually around $500). So I have to pay $800 basically to make this happen.
But I just don’t see a way around it. I keep telling myself that this will only help us sell the house. Now the house will be remodeled, have a new roof/appliances, AND a new AC Unit. It’s a worthwhile investment, and frankly, not one that I have a choice about at this point. I cannot live without AC. My baby cannot live without AC. Not in our climate. Not during 110 degree days.
So anyway, that’s what I’m working on. I’m trying to not be too upset about it. It’s kind of easy to stay calm when you don’t actually have a choice, you know? But I’m telling you this: on my next house I want a freaking warranty.