We were up, then we were down

Charlie went down so nice and easy last night (well, compared to the night before). She only slept for three hours before waking up the first time, but still, I wasn’t discouraged. Three is fine considering where we were coming from in the past few weeks.

The problem was that last night, unlike the night before, she wasn’t going back in the pack n play without a fight. It took us 15-20 minutes each time to try to put her down awake, and it happened probably three, maybe four times throughout the night (it’s fuzzy right now). Not optimal. I sobbed a lot last night because I missed my baby. I wanted her next to me. I had to remind myself why I was putting both of us through this.

Around 5:00 am she woke again and I nursed her in bed….and fell asleep. So the tricky little minx got the last two hours in bed with momma like she wanted. And I can’t say that I regret it. Going cold turkey on cosleeping is really hard. I didn’t realize that two nights ago was our last night of cosleeping, and it’s probably good that I didn’t because I doubt that I would have slept much.

This morning it became clear (at least partially) why she wasn’t sleeping well-our house was FREEZING. We’re dealing with these awful temps right now. It’s in the 60’s and 70’s during the day and dropping into the forties and fifties at night, and last night we forgot to turn the heat on before bed, so it got super cold. Charlie sleeps in a baby merlin suit, but that leaves her feet exposed. Poor girl had icicle feet when I got her up at 5:00 am. So again, no regrets for the extra snuggles. I needed to warm that baby up. I have to think that being chilled had something to do with the rough sleep last night, and I feel terrible about it. I can say it’s a mistake I won’t make again, because now it’s imprinted in my head.

Anyway, as a result of the crappy sleep last night, her nap this morning was shorter so she’s taking another little cat nap right now. Hopefully we can get her back on track tonight and have a better evening.


2 thoughts on “We were up, then we were down

  1. Ah it is always like this with kids so don’t feel disillusioned. They progress and seem to then go backwards for a moment. You are doing a great job! And I think 5am is virtually morning anyway so barely counts as breaking the rules. If Monkey wanders I at 5am now I count it as a full night in his own bed. Great you were able to identify an issue that you can fix tonight. You are doing so great! X

  2. I’ve learned that some changes take time. I’m figuring that out with the formula to whole milk switch. It thought I could cut out bottles completely but she takes in more milk a day with bottles so one thing at a time.

    Point is you just have to figure out what works for you. You’re doing a great job!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s