The other offer expired, and that was good. Well, it expires in like an hour, but they turned it down-they were too far apart. So they’ve already written a counter offer to ours and it was us paying full asking, drop the contingency on our house selling, and they’ll pay our closing costs. And we said that yes, we would think it over for the night but we would probably accept that because we feel like we’re very close to selling our house.
THEN their agent calls my agent back and says that no actually they can’t afford that offer, and they’ll need to ask us to pay 159000, drop our contingency and they’ll pay our closing. They have boxed themselves so much into a corner that they can’t even pay closing costs without raising the price back up. 159000 is what the house was priced at two weeks ago by the way, and there is a reason we didn’t look at it then, because we knew we didn’t want to pay that much.
And I KNOW that the difference is negligible, but there are three problems:
1. I don’t have an offer on my house, so I don’t have any cash reserves to pull from on my house. I only have our savings that get us through month to month with me not working full time and staying home with the baby, so obviously I can’t risk that by paying closing. We’re already taking a risk by dropping our contingency AND paying so much more for a house than we had planned.
2. They’re basically asking me to finance their mistakes, and I don’t want to. It puts a really bad taste in my mouth. We love the house but I don’t want to go into it feeling bitter about it.
3. If she is so strapped that they can’t even pay closing on the house then good lord, what’s going to happen when something comes up in inspection that has to be fixed for the bank to approve the loan?
So I told our realtor they could send that offer over but we had already decided that 157500+them paying closing+dropping the contingency would be our counter, and if they said no we would walk away. I’m really aggravated and….well, aggravated.